Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Reflection


Back in 2005, I was blessed to do a missions trip to Ghana Africa. While there, we had a chance to visit the two slave castles. As we we were touring, our group leader suggested that we take about 15 minutes to write down our thought and how we felt about slavery. At the time, I still had some anger and bitterness in me because of slavery. As I was writing this poem, the anger and bitterness lifted off of me.


Reflection

As I look out from the slave castles at the raging waters and waves

this is where my ancestors lost their freedom only to become slaves

Husbands separated from their wives, mothers separated from their children

what it must have been like for them, I can’t imagine the feeling

That pierced through their minds as they were led away in chains

life as they knew it would longer be the same

Being held captive against their will for another man’s gain, was this really fair

today, the slaves are tourist sites; but 500 years ago, it was my ancestors’ nightmare

That they had to live and endure day in and day out

suffering in their innocence; they had no choice but to adapt

Stripped of their identity; really it was taking by force

loosing their character, their voice, but most of all—loosing their worth

What could they actually say or do without being whipped or beat

over crowded in dungeons with little or no food to eat

It’s really hard for me to hold the shackles that were slapped on their wrist

it’s still hard for me to imagine that slavery really did exist

As I stood inside their cells; I asked myself; how did they endure all the pain they felt

the only way for some to escape and regain their freedom—only came through death

But for the ones who lived on; the slave castles were just the beginning

of many constant flow of tears from many treacherous tears of agony

on foreign territory that ignite many stories and set the course of history

For me to walk the path of my roots is truly a blessing

I thank God for healing me through a time of reflection

So—as I look out from the slave castles at the raging water and waves

this is where my ancestors lost their freedom to the Atlantic Slave Trade

No comments:

Post a Comment